Saturday, May 18, 2013

Verbs in Indonesian Language 4 ( verbs with "-kan" )

Verbs with suffix “-kan”


- Its function is to change intransitive verb into transitive verb
-“-kan” means to make something/ someone got an action. It causes something to the object.

~ me - verb - kan from root word
-It has a causative function. It cause a condition which is expressed with the root word

For example :

1. bangun = to wake up (  membangunkan = to wake somebody up )

    Dia membangunkan saya tadi pagi
    He woke me up this morning
 
2. keluar = to exit/ to go out ( mengeluarkan  = take out/ make something to be out )

    Aku mengeluarkan sepeda dari rumah
    I took the bicycle out of the garage




~ me – verb – kan from ber-....-kan

For example :

1. berbicara = to speak; membicarakan = to discuss

    Aku membicarakan masalah itu ke guru
    I discussed that problem to the teacher


~me – adjective – kan

For example :

1. bersih = clean ( membersihkan = to clean )
2. berani = brave ( memberanikan = to encourage )
3. benar = correct, true ( membenarkan = to correct, to fix, to repair )



~ to make  passive voice from  me- kan form, just change the “me-“ into "di-"verb

  Kelas dibersihkan oleh mereka
  The class is cleaned by them

 
~ to make imperative sentence from  me- .....-kan form,  just add “-kan” only to the root word

  Bersihkan kelas itu !
  Clean that class !


~ "me- .....-kan" verb is also used to link the verb to an indirect object
   It shows that something to be done for someone or something.
   The indirect object comes before the direct object.

Aku menceritakan teman saya sebuah cerita
I told my friend a story

Mereka membuatkan saya makanan
They made me a food

Dia menyanyikan sebuah lagu untuk saya *
She sang a song to me

*When the direct object comes first, the indirect object is connected  with a preposition “untuk” or “kepada” ( both mean “to” )


Now, see the difference below

Saya menyewa rumah untuk tinggal sementara waktu
I rent a house to stay for a while

Saya menyewakan rumah ini untuk mereka
I lease this house for them

No comments:

Post a Comment