Saturday, May 18, 2013

Verbs in Indonesian Language 5 ( Verbs with "-i" )

Verbs with suffix”-i”

~ me - verb - i
- It has the same function as “me-....-kan” which is a transitive verb.

-It has two meaning :

1. “me-...-i “shows a relation of location between the action and the object. 
   Generally, the object is sort of place, and the”-i” has the meaning of preposition ( to, from, in )
 
Sentences below are examples to help differentiate between  “me-...-kan” and  “me-...-i”
Para tamu memasuki ruangan di dalam rumah
The guests is entering the room in the house


Lalu, mereka membicarakan masalah itu di sana
Then, they are discussing the problem there


2. “me-...-i” also means “to provide with”, “ to supply” or “ to make something ready with “


Para petani mengairi sawah mereka
The farmers irigate their rice field

*The other difference between “me-...-kan” and  “me-...-i”, is that :

~In “me-...-kan”, usually the object is moved by the action of the verb
~While in “me-...-i”, the object stay still, not moving at all

For example : 


Saya mengeluarkan dompet dari tas
I put my wallet out of my bag

Kita menyeberangi sungai itu
We went across that river

No comments:

Post a Comment